The glaze on this urn is one of those happy accidents that I discovered while doing some tests, combining different glazes to create an entirely new result. However, this particular combination is a “runner” that I never did anything with until a friend saw the same glaze on an older pot in my studio with a chipped and rough foot, and asked if I could reproduce it on an urn for her father’s ashes. After a lot of research on how to deal with a glaze that runs, I ended up making a glaze catcher, which I then glued to the bottom of the urn before glazing. After it was fired, I used a diamond cutting wheel attached to a dremel tool to score the seam where the pot met the catcher. Then, I gently tapped the seam with a chisel, going around the base several times until the catcher fell off. Now, I’m waiting for a couple of parts that I ordered to set up an expanding drum grinder so that I can sand and polish the bottom of the pot smooth. All this work for one pot – but in my view, it is definitely worth the effort and I can’t wait to make more.
My Flickr Gallery
All original text and images copyrighted and property of Melynn Allen 2007-2013. All Rights Reserved.